Facts about UK road lane dividers!
Lane dividers are lane segregating equipment that makes separate travel lanes for bicycles, bikes and other vehicles on roads. The lane dividers or lane separators help in steady traffic flow and greatly reduce fatalities due to crashes.
When lane dividers mark the firm boundary on roads, every vehicle is bound to travel in a particular lane. This activity not only proves to be convenient for pedestrians to crossroads, but cycle paths allow bicyclists to ride and travel safely.
Therefore, if you have never used these traffic controlling devices ever, you must know what is a lane separator and get to know about UK road lane separators so you can follow UK traffic rules.
Topics we cover in this article:
What is the size and measurement of UK cycle lane separators?
UK cycle lane separators make traffic lanes with a centre lane for motorists, cyclists, and other oncoming traffic. Traffic lanes allow road traffic to drive in lanes following traffic rules.
So, as per the recommended size of UK lane separators, their height should be between 50mm – 60mm. Similarly, the ideal length of UK lane separators is 1,000 mm, and the width is 130mm – 150 mm.
If you use lane separators of this size, vehicular traffic will be no issue.
At the same time, you can mark driving lane, left lane, right lane, or multiple lanes as per your requirements and obey the transportation department’s rules.
What is the construction material of UK lane dividers?
Cycle lane dividers are available in different materials such as rubber, plastic and concrete. The price, affordability, durability, and other features of these UK lane dividers vary, which make one material best from the rest.
- First, plastic lane dividers are considered cost-effective and quick to manufacture, but you should not forget the downsides of this material. For example, plastic is inflexible and recycled plastic lane dividers are prone to breakage due to weather or traffic volume. They do not withstand cold in winter and become very dense and fragile, which ultimately breaks in less time. Similarly, achieving high visibility with plastic lane separators is a bit challenging. Their surface is painted with bright colours that fade because of UV rays or vehicle impact. So, you can get high visibility at the start, but later on, they need to be either repainted or replaced with highly visible lane dividers.
- Concrete cycle lane separators are quite heavy and require exhausting installation, resulting in pollution. At the same time, concrete cycle separators do not offer a long-lasting solution for efficient traffic control devices. As the colour of the UK lane divider is a good factor, it is hard to maintain the permanently visible character of concrete lane segregation. You will get one colour that fades, and they become grey.
- Rubber lane separators are very elastic and flexible to use. They do not harm motorcyclists or cyclists that pass over it. Above all, they are bright and prominent to be recognized.
What are the advantages of rubber cycle lane separators?
Rubber lane dividers are among the best UK cycle lane segregation with multiple features and advantages.
- One of the biggest advantages of rubber cycle lane separators is their durability, as they are weather-resistant and not damaged in changing weather. Their sturdy material keeps them fit for many years. Sometimes, freezing temperature breaks road safety equipment, but rubber proves to be withstanding and bears any wear and tear;
- Similarly, rubber cycle lane separators have no issues with water or rainy weather as they are waterproof;
- The flexibility of rubber cycle lane dividers makes them adaptable, and if the road surface is not flat, these rubber lane dividers adapt and set in the shape of the road. You may find some varieties of rubber lane separators that do not fit well because they are made of stiff recycled rubber. So, be careful and always select top-quality rubber lane dividers;
- UK rubber cycle lane separators are highly visible, and you can recognize their presence for long distances. Bright colours and reflective strips make them visible. Above all, their colours do not fade because rubber is not painted superficially;
- They absorb energy from vehicle impacts and do not produce sound. Plus, rubber cycle lane separators are not tripping hazards for a firm grip;
- Most UK rubber cycle lane separators are easy to install with no massive disruption of roads that prevent pollution. You just need some bolts and install them tightly on the roads.
Are UK road lane dividers visible in low light?
UK road cycle lane dividers are highly visible as almost every design or variety has bright colours.
Normally, red and black with white stripes are used, but you can also get some lane dividers in yellow or other colours.
Coloured lane separators with stripes or other reflective materials make them detectable and help in dividing motor vehicles and slow-moving traffic.
This division of bicycle lanes also prevents overtaking and unsafe driving resulting in collisions. Plus, speed-limit signs in the same lane avoid speeding and encourage drivers to go at dynamic speed, turning to the left or right with safety measures.
Can everybody use cycle lane dividers on UK roads and highways?
Lane dividers separate lanes and make bike routes or bicycle pathways, but certain criteria exist to use lane dividers on UK roads.
Typically, it does not mean that anyone can install lane segregation at any place without informing or contacting authorities.
As far as the roads, city streets or parking lots are concerned, you can decide to some extent that where you can install lane separators, but the final decision is on higher authorities. For instance, you need to consult the city council first if you find it necessary to use lane dividers on your roadway or driveway due to increasing accidents or fatalities.
The city council and transportation department has the right to decline or accept your application as per rules and roads’ usage. This step is very important because if your road or driveway is not wide enough and you install lane separators to make a cycling pathway, this will interrupt other vehicles. Therefore, UK roads have a transportation plan and following the rules for using lane segregation is essential.
The same is the case with highway, and you are not free to use lane dividers unless federal highway administration takes notice and make a plan about it.
When everything is marked clearly, and your request is approved, you can use lane divides into UK roads, streets, parking lots, public work areas, junctions and road intersections.
Cycle lane separators are lane dividers to mark lanes for directional traffic on roads. These lanes are divided into the roads near roundabouts, pavement, road intersections, crosswalks, or other high traffic areas to ensure lane markings are followed to prevent road accidents.
At the same time, cyclists are prohibited from travelling in heavy traffic lanes so they are not collided or crashed by overspeeding buses or cars.
So, cycle lane dividers are an absolute necessity for traffic management and separating merged cars, motor vehicles and bicycles, so the safety of every road user is ensured.
WHO ARE WE?
Are you curious about us? Do you wonder what are our know-hows and where do we manufacture our products?
CYCLE LANE DIVIDERS & LANE SEPARATORS
FOLLOW US ON LINKEDIN
Need any advice about our products? Do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to help.