Important elements that determine a sand bag price!
Sandbags have been used in the world for centuries. They perform multiple functions and come in different forms.
If you visit a market to purchase a sandbag, you will come to know that they are available at many different rates. The difference in prices of the two sandbags is mainly because of the difference in their key characteristics.
If you are interested in buying a sand bag, you should first learn which factors determine its cost. This guide of purchasing sandbags explains all the prominent elements that influence the cost of a sand bag.
Factors that affect the price of a sand bag
The key elements that determine the price of a sand bag are explained below.
- Material: A bag of sand can be created using various materials. The most common materials that manufacturers use are jute, woven polypropylene, PVC, and burlap. The cost of each material is different. If an expensive material is used to construct a sand bag, the cost of the sack will be obviously more. Similarly, if a cheaper material is used to make the bag, its cost will be most probably low.
- Dimensions: Manufacturers produce sand bags of different sizes, so that people can find the one that best meets their needs. A larger sandbag requires more construction material compared to a smaller sandbag. Therefore, the cost of larger sacks is also comparatively higher.
- Type (filled or unfilled sandbags): You can find bags of sand in the filled as well as unfilled form. Filled sandbags are generally expensive because they have sand or soil inside them. Unfilled sandbags are empty and have nothing inside their space, so their prices are also lower comparatively.
- Stitching: Stitching has a minor impact on the cost of bulk bags. Sacks that are stitched from all sides and have double or triple stitching may have a slightly higher price than the ones that have single stitching.
- Manufacturer: Manufacturers, who are new in the market and do not have much experience, may not produce sandbags of higher quality. That is why they may keep their rates lower in the beginning. A reputable manufacturer who uses advanced techniques and higher-quality material generally sells products at a bit higher rate.
- Other features: Some manufacturers let their customers get customised sandbags, meaning customers can select the colour or print of the sandbag. Customization usually requires more effort. Therefore, customised bags may have higher costs.
What are the additional sandbag costs?
In addition to the sandbag’s purchase cost, you should keep in mind the following costs as well:
- Sandbag transportation cost: If you have purchased filled sandbags that are heavier and take more space, you will need a transportation vehicle and similar tools to transfer the sandbag to a dam, levee, flood zone, flood-plain, roadway, parking-lot, etc.
- Sandbag filling cost: Unfilled sandbags do not have sand in their empty space, meaning you will have to purchase sand or soil separately to fill them, meaning an additional cost. If you have a large number of unfilled sandbags, you may not be able to fill all of them on your own. Therefore, you need to hire workers to do that. You may also need a few tools like shovels etc., to perform the task properly.
- Sandbag storage cost: Filled sandbags must be stored properly in a basement, garage, or any other safe area so that you can have access to them whenever you need them again in the future. If you don’t have storage space for them, you may have to rent a storage room. Therefore, expect to pay the rent of a storage room if you are going to buy a large number of filled reusable sandbags.
Who should purchase sand bags?
Anyone who has any of the following needs should consider buying sandbags.
- If you are working at a construction site and have used different construction signs that are lightweight and need support, you should consider buying sandbags. These sacks are heavy and can support standing signs when they are placed on their feet.
- Sandbagging is done by the federal emergency management agency and companies participating in the national flood insurance program. It is done in areas that have a flood risk due to a tropical-storm, flash-flood, and excessive rainfall. If you think your area has a flood risk, getting your hands on sandbags may help you prevent flood damage.
- People use sandbags for flood-protection and flood-control if their homes are in the way of flood water. They divert the direction of floodwater from the floodplain and move it towards drainage or sewage. They read flood insurance rate maps to get flood information and improve floodplain management.
- You should purchase sandbags and build their walls around levees if the water level in the water-resources is rising, and there is a risk of surface runoff. You can get information about the water level from the national weather service providers. It will help you handle your flood safety, flood prevention, flood management, and flood warning system.
- If you are a bodybuilder, you can use an ultimate sandbag for strength training, core training, sandbag training, resistance-training system, or functional training. They are included in the high intensity workout program by trainers to help bodybuilders with their fat-loss journey and core-strength. Fitness coaches believe that they strengthen the full body, particularly lower-body muscles, when used in the home gym or garage gym.
- If your garden or lawn soil is eroded due to water, snow, plants, or animals, you can use sandbags for erosion control. They prevent direct contact between soil and storm-water, snow, etc.
How do sand bags work?
Sandbags are used in floodplains around flood waters when floods, rains, or storms increase the risk of a natural disaster in a flood-prone area. They are also used as a ballast to hold traffic signs when the heavy wind can make them fall or move away from their original place.
Sand bags are filled with heavy materials like sand, gravel or soil that do not let them move even when placed in a stormy area. Therefore, when you place them on the foot of a traffic sign, the sign stays in its place due to the heavy support.
You can remove sandbags when the heavy wind or heavy rain stops. You can remove the content of the sandbag as well by opening its zipper or mouth, and then fold and store it for future use.
Sandbags are available in different forms so that people can use them for different purposes. Their purchase cost is affected by various elements like their construction material, size, type, and other characteristics.
They are generally used to weigh down traffic signs. People also use them as fitness equipment or tools in gyms during whole body fitness training to gain functional strength. It is also popularly used in flood plains, flood zones, flood-prone residential areas, and wetlands to prevent the damage caused by storm water or floodwater.
Army corps of engineers also buy sandbags to build sturdy barriers behind a barricade by stacking heavy duty bags with the help of battle ropes. They may also use them to cover explosive materials.
WHO ARE WE?
Are you curious about us? Do you wonder what are our know-hows and where do we manufacture our products?
BALLAST SAND BAGS
FOLLOW US ON LINKEDIN
Need any advice about our products? Do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to help.