Everything you need to know about wheel stops!
Are you concerned about the safety of your parking lots? Do you want to make your parking spaces well-organised and managed? If yes, then wheel stops might be the right solution for you.
A wheel stopper is a helpful tool installed in different kinds of parking spaces to help drivers park their vehicles within their specific area. They inform the drivers when they reach the limit of their parking space and are about to hit a wall or another parked vehicle.
Parking blocks are used worldwide to increase the safety of parking lots. If you too want to maintain traffic volume in your parking lot, read this article to learn all you need to know about this effective tool.
What is a wheel stop?
A wheel stopper is a tool used for the traffic-management, traffic-control, traffic calming, and pedestrian safety purposes. It is mainly designed for asphalt parking spots, garage parking spaces, and disabled parking areas.
The function of this tool is to act as a barrier in the parking slots and tell drivers where they can park their vehicle without exceeding the limit or crossing the pedestrian walking area in a parking space. They are installed on the pavement in the parking lots. They may also have pavement markings around them that enhance their visibility.
Property owners should ensure that wheel stoppers are spaced apart according to the local installation standards. They should use different kinds of wheel stoppers for different kinds of vehicles such as fire trucks, carts, trucks, buses, trailers, emergency vehicles, and cars to get the most out of this tool.
You should install traffic control devices, including speed ramps, rumble strips, speed bumps, traffic cones, speed humps, speed cushions, traffic barriers, road bumps, bollards, and wheel stoppers, with the traffic sign and signage. This way, drivers and pedestrians will learn about their presence in advance and drive or walk accordingly.
If you are installing a wheel stopper in a darker area where light is dim, you should use stoppers that have reflective tapes to increase their visibility. Doing so will reduce the chance of pedestrians tripping over the wheel stoppers. It will also make them visible to the drivers even when they are far away from the stopper. Wheel stoppers are bolted to the ground with the help of sturdy bolts. It keeps them fixed to their place in a driveway, roadway, intersection, car-parking site, bicyclist parking lot, and street parking area.
Learn more: What is a wheel stop?
What is the role of parking blocks?
By now, you must have learnt the key role of a parking stopper: which is to help drivers park cars and other vehicles in their lanes properly and discourage parking-lot accidents.
Like other traffic safety devices such as a traffic barrier, speed hump, speed bump, speed ramp, heavy-duty speed table, and speed breaker, a wheel stopper is also installed by municipalities and the department of transportation to make city streets and parking areas safe for all.
They all play an important role in reducing the number of accidents and the number of deaths caused by accidents. Every year many people lose their lives on unsafe roads and parking lots that do not use traffic safety tools. However, you can save many lives by installing the right traffic control or safety equipment at the right place.
Sign-posts, stop signs, parking signs, parking brake warning signs, speed signs, traffic signs, and road signs are also important, and they should be used along with the above-mentioned tools to create a safer outdoor environment for all.
You can install wheel stoppers in different parking lots, including the disabled parking lot, event parking area, office parking site, commercial property parking lot, street parking space, and residential parking garage. No matter where they are installed, they improve traffic management and organisation really well.
Learn more: What is the role of parking blocks?
Different types of car stops
Car stops are categorised into different groups based on their material, installation location and vehicle type they are used for.
- Car stop types based on materialCar stop manufacturers use rubber, plastic, concrete, wood, and metal to construct car stops. These materials have different properties, so they give different properties to wheel stops as well. For instance, rubber and plastic are comparatively softer materials, so they absorb more tire impact compared to steel and concrete.
- Car stop types based on locationCar stops can be used at different locations such as garages, residential areas, and parking lots. Car stops installed in residential areas are light-duty because they do not experience heavy traffic. In contrast, public parking lots and garages need to have heavy-duty wheel stops that can withstand the impact of heavy traffic daily.
- Car stop types based on the vehicle they are used forDifferent wheel stops are used for different types of vehicles. Wheel stops for cars can withstand low to moderate pressure, while truck, trailer and bus wheel stops are designed to endure high pressure.
Learn more: Different types of car stops.
Wheel stop installation standards
Wheel stopper installation is a simple process that you can also perform on your own if you know the basics of using standard instruments like a hammer, drill, screws, etc. You should install wheel stoppers among the parked vehicles in such a way that they maintain vehicular as well as pedestrian traffic-flow very well.
They should be installed according to the pavement marking and should not cross a pedestrian crossing, crosswalk, or sidewalk. Here is how to install a wheel check.
- Step 1: Mark the area with chalk such that the screw holes on the pavement are exactly where the wheel stopper has screw holes.
- Step 2: Create holes in the marked pavement of parking lots or docks with the help of a drilling machine.
- Step 3: Remove debris and dust using a hand broom.
- Step 4: Insert plastic hole plugs inside each hole with the help of a hammer.
- Step 5: Place the wheel stopper on the pavement and insert screws through its screw holes. Tighten them with a wrench.
- Step 6: Cover the moulded wheel stopper with end-caps or a protector if it has any.
Wheel stoppers have installation standards that vary from one place to the other. You should learn these standards before you place this tool in your parking lot.
In most areas in the UK, it is suggested that the maximum distance between two adjacent wheel stoppers should not exceed 3 feet. They should also be placed at the right distance from the curb or the wall so that the vehicle does not hit the wall when it is being parked. In most areas, the suggested distance between a curb and a wheel stop is from 15 to 20 inches.
If you are planning to install a wheel stop in your driveway or garage, ask the local municipality or transportation department to learn your area’s specific wheel stop installation standards.
Learn more: Wheel stop installation standards.
Wheel stop standards
Wheel stoppers also have local standards that should be met when you decide to install them in your garage or parking area. These standards are different for different areas.
You should check the dimensions of the wheel stopper and ensure it is according to the standards. They should neither be too heightened nor too float for your parking lot. The standard height of a wheel stop in the UK should be around 100 mm. Its length should be around 1,650 mm, and its width should be approximately 150 mm.
Parking blocks also have visibility standards that are designed to make sure they are highly visible no matter where they are installed. According to these standards, wheel stoppers need to have reflective stripes that reflect and become highly visible when light falls on them.
You can also colour your wheel stop to increase their visibility. Common colours of wheel stoppers are yellow, white, and black. If you do not consider the visibility factors, you increase your parking lot’s tripping risk and accidents risk.
Learn more: Wheel stop standards.
Guide to buying wheel stoppers
Wheel stoppers are sold in different forms in the market. You should be aware of their different forms and the benefits of each form if you want to buy the right stopper to control traffic volume in your parking lot and slow down vehicles while they are being parked.
Here are the different factors that you should consider when purchasing a parking stopper for your parking areas.
Learn more: Guide to buying wheel stoppers.
Material of the tool
Parking stoppers can be manufactured of recycled plastic, rubber, steel, wood, and concrete. Industrial rubber wheel stoppers are flexible yet strong. They reduce the impact of stoppers on the tires of vehicles. Polyurethane or urethane wheel stoppers are also a good option, but they may not withstand the pressure of heavy vehicles, including an ambulance, truck, etc.
Height, width, and length
Dimensions of a wheel stop should be according to the dimensions of the vehicle that will be parked in the parking facilities. Trailer wheel stoppers and truck wheel stoppers are heavy-duty, metallic, longer, and wider compared to car wheel stoppers and motorcycle wheel stoppers.
Reflector tape or striping
Wheel stoppers that have reflective tape should be preferred over the ones that do not have these tapes or striping. This tape is used to make them highly visible to drivers. As the name suggests, these tapes shine when light falls on them. So when a car’s front light falls on a wheel stopper located in a darker site, it becomes visible even if the parking area does not have a light source.
Parking stoppers are sold by many manufacturers in the market. You should check the competence, reliability and sincerity of manufacturers before selecting any one of them. You should check their online websites and customer reviews. Send them a message to check their customer services.
Popular parking kerbs in different countries
Wheel stoppers are popularly used all over the world to make parking lots safe for foot traffic and vehicular traffic. They have different installation and construction standards in different countries. You should be aware of the standards of your country so that you can buy wheel stoppers accordingly.
Here are the popular parking kerbs used in different countries around the globe.
- XPT wheel stoppers are rubber wheel stoppers manufactured by a UK based company. They can be used for any sort of car or van. They have moulded markings that enhance their visibility even when they are fixed in a darker area.
- Sino Concept is a famous manufacturer of wheel stoppers. It offers rubber wheel stoppers in four different sizes. Their products are sturdy, lasting, and reliable. They have reflective yellow or white strips that make them visible to drivers and pedestrians.
- Traffic Safety Store is a USA based store that offers a wide variety of traffic safety equipment, including wheel stoppers. Their wheel stoppers are available in several colours and dimensions. They are made up of either plastic or rubber.
- Parking Target wheel stoppers are available in different sizes. They are peel-and-stick parking stoppers, meaning they have an adhesive side that sticks to the ground when you remove its covering. Parking Target is a popular USA brand offering great parking management solutions.
Learn more: Popular parking kerbs in different countries.
Wheel stoppers are popularly used in parking lots and garages to maintain the appropriate distance between parked vehicles. They create a barrier and help drivers stay within their specific parking slot without crossing the specially designed area for pedestrians.
Car stops are available in plastic, rubber, metal, and wood. Each material has its unique properties and is suitable for particular parking lot needs. You should select the material that best meets your parking lot’s needs.
Choose parking blocks to reduce the number of collisions and accidents in your parking areas. Make your parking sites safe with the installation of this effective tool.
WHO ARE WE?
Are you curious about us? Do you wonder what are our know-hows and where do we manufacture our products?
WHEEL STOPS & PARKING BLOCKS
FOLLOW US ON LINKEDIN
Need any advice about our products? Do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to help.