What is a lane separator?
Lane separators or cycle lane dividers are specially made traffic management devices to indicate lane separation on roads and give cyclists, motorists, and other vehicles their dedicated pathways. These lane separators can be used on roads or other off-road areas to make a firm boundary that prevents collision risk.
Similarly, this physical separation also ensures pedestrians’ safety. When each vehicle follows traffic rules and drives in a particular lane, it becomes easy for them to cross high-traffic areas.
You can also use cycle lane dividers in the streets to avoid accidents. So, before sealing the deal, make sure to know everything about lane dividers because some important factors can take you to the right purchase.
Alternatives for cycle lane separators
Using cycle lane separators keep your and others’ life safe, and lane separators or cycle lane dividers are specially made traffic management devices to indicate lane separation on roads and give cyclists, motorists, and other vehicles their dedicated pathways. These lane separators can be used on roads or other off-road areas to make a firm boundary that prevents collision risk.
Similarly, this physical separation also ensures pedestrians’ safety. When each vehicle follows traffic rules and drives in a particular lane, it becomes easy for them to cross high-traffic areas. You can also use cycle lane dividers in the streets to avoid accidents. So, before sealing the deal, make sure to know everything about lane dividers because some important factors can take you to the right purchase. and find them easily, but for any reason, if you cannot, here are some alternative options. These are physically different measures, but their function is the same as lane separators:
- Road markings are psychological barriers without including any obstruction on the roads. These lines or patterns marked on the road direct vehicles to take their routes carefully. You can see white lines on the pavement in various patterns for pedestrians. Cyclists and drivers go without any confusion, and as a result, a smooth and orderly flow of traffic is ensured without installing physical lane separators;
- You must have seen short vertical posts on roads separating lanes of bicycles and motorists from the rest of the traffic. These are bollards commonly used in the replacement of rubber cycle lane separators. Particularly posts are present on intersections or other high traffic areas but you can use them at your property. These bollards are sturdy and encourage more cyclists to the roads by giving safe cycling paths;
- Traffic cones are the most common traffic controlling and regulating measures used in different ways. Whether you require separate routes for cycles, emergency vehicles, or control vehicle traffic, you need to place them on roads, and you are good to go. Chain barriers are also just like cones used as an alternative to cycle lane separators;
- One of the easiest ways to divide lanes into the streets or roads is placing concrete planters and allowing cyclists to go without being worried about rash driving cars. The planters are also cheap, and you can place them throughout the separation zone.
- Using rubber curbs is also an ideal way to divert traffic and make lanes for vehicles and bicycles.
Learn more: Alternatives for cycle lane separators.
Facts about the UK road lane dividers
UK roads and their traffic laws are particular about road safety equipment, and you cannot install any traffic controlling equipment on your own. If you feel that your street or locality has a higher number of bicycle accidents, you need to get approval from higher authorities before taking any action. This is because making a separate lane for bicycles without informing concerned departments can put many other vehicles at risk. So, it is always advised to show your council where the cycle lane is needed and use lane dividers recommended to be used in the UK.
Here are the ideal dimensions of UK road lane dividers:
- UK lane divider height: 50mm-60mm;
- UK lane divider length: 1,000 mm;
- UK lane divider width: 130-150 mm.
So, always follow these dimensions, whether you want to install lane dividers on the road or highway. It is also in the best interest of the drivers and pedestrians as installing too high cycle lane separators can result in falling accidents, if a vehicle crosses the lane.
At the same time, you can find lane dividers in varying configurations and colours, but the sole purpose of every design is to give bicycles and cycles a secure path.
Learn more: Facts about the UK road lane dividers.
Different names you should know for cycle lane dividers
Cycle lane dividers are broadly used in parking lots, road intersections, roundabouts, driveways, or even at the federal highway to slow down speeding vehicles with the aid of other speed signs. As with the diversity in their use for speed reduction and traffic direction in lanes, you may find them with different names.
The first and most commonly used name is cycle lane divider. But if you read lane separator, cycle lane separator, or lane segregator, keep in mind that these are other names of cycle lane dividers.
Similarly, these traffic control devices are regarded as lane segregation at some places.
So, you can count the names of cycle lane dividers here:
- Lane divider;
- Lane separator;
- Cycle lane divider;
- Cycle lane separator;
- Lane segregator;
- Lane separator curb.
How do lane separators help in traffic control?
The main function of lane separators or lane segregation is to ensure protected lanes for different vehicles.
This separation of vehicles in the pedestrian zone, work zone, streetscape, cut-through road, roadway, or other public work area keeps slow-moving cycles separate from oncoming traffic and gives dynamic speed.
Following signages, traffic signals, speed limits, speed signs, and other traffic rules, every vehicle is free to move in a particular lane and travel in safe zones.
So, if your street is frequently used by vehicles, motorists, emergency vehicles, or cyclists, make sure to install lane dividers. This will also give safety to pedestrians and residents in your community.
What are the characteristics of a good lane separator?
Lane separators are essential road safety equipment and must have top-notch features. If you are interested in buying cycle lane separators, remember these characteristics in your mind:
- First of all, cycle lane dividers should be highly visible. There will be no use of these devices if drivers cannot find them in low lights. Poorly visible road safety devices are hazardous as no one can guess their presence to slow vehicles’ speed, and as a result, the incidence of collision fatalities increases;
- Lane separators should be highly durable and sturdy. You know these traffic safety devices are used outdoors, and if you go for some low-quality product, road traffic will damage them in no time, and you will end up spending extra money on reinstallation;
- Installation should be quick without massive disruption of the road or disturbing other vehicles. At the same time, don’t forget to check fixing bolts or other accessories as per the package;
- Ideal cycle lane separators can be used on curves or bends on the carriageway, so check their flexibility. If you select lane dividers that are quite hard or inflexible, they will break either due to traffic or weather impact. Regarding best materials and durability, you can choose rubber cycle lane separators as they can bear any wear and tear.
Cycle lane dividers are one of the most effective lanes segregating equipment that gives riders and drivers protected lanes with fewer injuries and fatalities.
A huge plus point of these traffic control devices is they are budget-friendly, and you can use them permanently at your place or install them for some period when the traffic flow is diverted to a particular road.
So, whatever the case is, lane dividers can make lives easier, and you must ensure everyone’s safety on your premises. Ask higher authorities, get approval, and use the best lane dividers.
WHO ARE WE?
Are you curious about us? Do you wonder what are our know-hows and where do we manufacture our products?
CYCLE LANE DIVIDERS & LANE SEPARATORS
FOLLOW US ON LINKEDIN
Need any advice about our products? Do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to help.