How to remove a parking stopper?
Parking spaces should have the right traffic management and traffic control tools to make them safe for everyone. When you install traffic management tools in a parking area, the risk of accidents and property damage decreases significantly.
Parking area tools, including parking stoppers, provide pedestrians with enough free space to walk freely in the parking space.
They also help drivers park their vehicles in their specific areas. They also maintain the right distance between parked vehicles.
If you have installed a parking stopper in your garage or parking lot, you may wish to remove it at some point. It may be to replace them with the latest stoppers or remove them completely from the area.
Parking stop removal is as simple as the parking stop installation. Read the article to learn how to remove the parking block in 5 simple steps.
Introduction to the parking stopper
Parking stoppers are traffic calming tools placed in various parking facilities, including disabled parking, accessible parking, visitor parking, on-street parking spots, overnight parking, and off-street parking to help the drivers park their vehicles correctly.
Parking stoppers, also called parking stops, vehicle parking blocks, or parking curbs, are installed at a particular distance from the wall. There is a specific distance between two parking blocks according to the vehicle size that will be parked in the campus parking lot.
Parking stops are created in different sizes. In a motorcycle parking place, you should use small stoppers for motorists, cyclists, etc..
In contrast, you should preferably use large-sized stoppers for large vehicles, including buses, cars, and emergency vehicles.
They come in different materials, each having its peculiar characteristics. Car stop manufacturers commonly use steel, concrete, rubber, recycled plastic, and wood.
Rubber, plastic, and wood best suit low-volume vehicles and low-traffic daily parking areas.
Steel and concrete are commonly used for heavy vehicles and high-volume traffic in handicapped parking spaces, car parking spaces, event parking garages, street garages, paid parking areas, airport parking facilities, and electric vehicle charging parking spots.
Steps to remove a parking stopper
Parking blocks help keep parked vehicles in their respective lanes in order. They are removable tools. You can remove them if the installed stopper has been damaged or your car-parking area no longer needs them.
The process of removing a parking stopper is as simple as the process of installing it. You can handle this job independently if you know how to use basic tools like hammers, chisels, pinch bars, etc.
You will need the following tools to remove a parking stopper.
- Claw hammer
- Crowbar or pinch bar
Here is a simple step-by-step guide to removing parking stoppers from your public parking, free parking, handicapped parking, valet parking, or hourly garage parking lots.
- Step 1: Place the chisel underneath one end of the parking stopper.
- Step 2: Start hitting the chisel with a claw hammer. Keep doing it until the stopper gets separated from the parking lot surface.
- Step 3: Do the same at the other end of the parking stopper.
- Step 4: Place a crowbar or a spade under the stopper to apply more force to the tool and separate it completely from the floor.
- Step 5: Clean the floor with a solvent if you initially used an adhesive to stick the stopper to the ground firmly.
Where should you install parking stops?
The placement or installation of the parking stops should be done according to the guidelines specified by the local government or traffic administration.
You should not apply it at the corners where it increases the hazard of tripping for the pedestrian. It should also not be in contact with a high kerb.
You can install parking spaces where you want to improve the overall safety of vehicles, pedestrians, and vehicles.
Popular places where you can install parking blocks are:
- Residential areas: You can install parking blocks in your home garages, driveways, and streets if you have trouble parking the vehicle correctly.
If you plan to install them in your street, it is better to use signage to inform people of their presence.
- Commercial buildings: Commercial areas such as malls, auditoriums, banks, hotels, etc., have a high traffic volume.
So, the risk of accidents and property damage can increase if you do not manage traffic in your parking areas.
- Industrial areas or warehouses: These places provide different parking options, including metered parking garages for workers and short-term parking spaces for industrial vehicles like powered carts, forklift trucks, loaders, etc.
They should also have blockers to ensure vehicles stay protected and are parked correctly.
- Multi-story car-park buildings: These buildings are particularly designed for vehicle parking purposes. They have numerous parking slots or lanes. Slots that are marked with the help of parking stoppers help drivers park vehicles in their specific areas.
If you have a parking permit for such a building, it will be easier to park without hitting the surrounding vehicle, wall, or object.
What makes parking stoppers a good choice for your garages?
You can enjoy several benefits by installing parking stoppers in public, commercial, or residential garages.
The following reasons will show why parking stoppers are a great choice for parking areas and garages.
- When drivers are not guided about the parking space limits through markings and blockers, there is a high probability that they may hit other vehicles accidentally or park the vehicle in the wrong area. You can reduce the risk of vehicle damage by installing parking blockers.
- You can also decrease the risk of vehicles hitting the walls or high curbs. Blockers inform the drivers that they cannot drive beyond them. This helps prevent damage to your property or items present in the parking lot.
- Parking blockers also provide safety to pedestrians. When vehicles are parked in their restricted area, pedestrians get enough space to walk in the parking space.
- Parking stoppers make your parking areas look impressive and well-organised. If you are a business owner, installing stoppers in your parking areas can help you make a good impression in front of your clients.
- You can reduce the number of collisions between vehicles and pedestrians by installing wheel stoppers.
If your parking stoppers have been damaged or are no longer functional due to one reason or another, it is best to replace them with newer stoppers to restore the safety of your parking lots.
Removing parking stoppers is an easy process that even a single person can perform. You need basic tools like a chisel, shovel, crowbar, and hammer to remove the stopper.
If you have understood the above step-by-step guide correctly, it won’t be an issue for you to remove the stopper in 30 to 40 minutes.
Removing the stopper on your own can help you save labour costs. Instead, you can invest that cost in enhancing your parking lot’s safety by installing more parking stoppers.